A stay-at-home mom's survival guide to surviving 3 under 3.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Three Questions about Love..

Today I was asked three questions:

  1. Do you love your husband?
  2. Do you love your children?
  3. Are you there for your children?

I answered "yes" to all of them. If I asked these same questions to you, would you also answer yes?  If you would, please know that we are already one step ahead of the game. Yay! Pat yourself on the back! We are already giving our children a great solid foundation. If you answered no to one or more, it is time to start working on solutions to get you to "yes"!

So many days I envision the worst case scenario: Jack, at the age of 16, slamming the back door and yelling, "I hate you" and speeding off in his car. (Side note: Why do I always have fake fights in my head? I don't know?)

Yet, there are other days that I envision the best case scenario: Johnny, me and the three boys tailgating at OU football games. Johnny flipping burgers, the boys smiling and laughing while throwing the football around, brotherhood and beautiful weather.

This is the life I want to have for us. Happy and out and about as a family.

However, most days when I end up jerking the boys to the time out chair or yelling at them, "What are you doing..NO! NO! NO!" I am left to think that we might just end up in my make believe worst case scenario.

Am I raising these boys the right way and how do I get to the best case scenario? This is the advice I am seeking.

As mothers, I know we all have similar visions of best and worst case scenarios for our family's future. We pray everyday that we somehow, someway will do the right thing and end up where we want to be.

Today I learned that I am actually doing something right.  On a grand scale, I am providing a stable, loving environment for my boys.  I'll need to work on my day to day smaller issues (like coping with toddlers, time outs and tantrums) but for now I can rest easy knowing that I have some of the big stuff covered! Today, I feel a 'wee' bit better. I HOPE you do too.


Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, 
for love covers a multitude of sins. 
1 Peter 4:8

Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.
Proverbs 10:12

Until next Monday,
 
Dear Lord,
Let us as mommies remember that it is not always about the tiny day to day details but about the bigger picture of love. Help us to remember that if we continue to show love to our husbands and children, as You do to us, the details might just work themselves out.  - Amen

1 comment:

  1. What a comfort! Not only in knowing I'm doing something right, but also in learning I'm not the only mommy with horrifying fantasies running through my head.;)

    ReplyDelete