A stay-at-home mom's survival guide to surviving 3 under 3.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Keeping The Faith!

Happy Easter Monday Mommies! I thought this was the perfect day to share a short story with you about the journey Johnny and I have made and the lesson we have learned from that about following God's plan and not our own. It was exactly four years ago when we were faced with a BIG decision. We were living the seemingly "good" life in Dallas. We both had high paying jobs, we had little responsibilities other than our jobs, we could and did take several vacations a year, we hung out with our friends every single weekend, I was very involved in philanthropies, Johnny in the 'business' scene, etc. We were, quote, "DINKS" (Double Income No Kids). We could do anything anytime (when we weren't working)!

Even though it might have seemed like the good life at the time, that life was all tied up in monetary things. The roots of a good life were just not there. Johnny wanted to be closer to his grandmother who raised him and has little family other than him.  We both wanted a family of our own desperately and having kids just did not seem to fit our lifestyle in Dallas. We were both tied to our careers, our friendships, our philanthropies and more. We were constantly on the move and honestly, stressed.

In 2006, Johnny was traveling a lot for his career. On one of those many trips, he sat next to the CFO of Oklahoma's public utility and they made a connection. In April 2007, after a year and a half of keeping in touch,  Johnny was offered a job that would move us from Dallas to Oklahoma City. Johnny had just made V.P. at his Private Equity firm in Dallas and I had just been offered a new position as a lead investor relations analyst for a well known corporate real estate firm. If he took this job in OK and moved, we would go from two high paying salaries down to one lower salary.  Should we really leave our high paying careers that we worked so hard to obtain? Dallas seemed to equal money and OKC seemed to equal family. We both felt a strong pull to go as if someone was saying, "I have better things in store for you in OKC." It was as if God was handing us the life we really wanted on a silver platter but we had to chose it. We had a BIG decision to make.  Maybe we could make the family thing work in Dallas? 

We made a poster board size pro's and con's list. We had many conversations on what life would be like in both places and we finally made a decision. We would stay in Dallas and keep our careers.  

I immediately accepted my new position and let my current employer know that I was taking a new job. However, on the next day when Johnny was scheduled to decline his position in OKC, he called me. "Are you sure we made the right decision?" Why do we feel so yuck about this. I didn't know we would feel this way." We.felt.awful.  The bible says, 

Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, 
but the righteous will thrive like a green leaf. 
- Proverbs 11:28


I knew that we had abandoned God's call for us to move. I knew that he had better things for us.  Over the phone, we decided to change our minds and listen to what God had been wanting us to do all along. Let the monetary things go and follow him.

In July 2007, we said goodbye to the life we knew in Dallas. We said goodbye to our friends and family there, our co-workers, our church and our first home.

We moved one state up and nestled in a home on 2.5 acres and hung this sign on our back porch that overlooks our massive green backyard: 



This sign reminds us to slow down and remember God's promise to us and why we moved.

We went from 2 incomes to 1 income overnight yet somehow we have never gone without. In fact, I think we have received more. Every time money seems to get tight, we are blessed with more than we need. Over the past three years, we have been blessed with wonderful friendships, loving and caring neighbors and three happy and healthy boys.  Even though it is loud and crazy at times, there is always a calmness. I went from stressed over work to stressed over work that is my own. My family.  I get to see the day unfold. If it rains, I know. If it is sunny, I know. I love that. I will take 365 days of seeing the day and being with my family over 7 days of beach vacation any day!

We had to let a lot of things "go" but we have received leaps and bounds more in return!

God has continually given to us. He has not let us down.

I am posting this today because I know there are so many out there who are worried about their next step. Where am I headed? Do we have enough to survive? I afraid of the future. 

This is where "KEEPING THE FAITH" steps in. Remember to stop and listen. Put your faith in the Lord. Let him guide you. 

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 
- Hebrews 1 2:2

Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. 
Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.
- Psalm 37 3-4


Until next Monday.

Lord, I know there are times when I am worried about what is next. Where is tomorrow going to lead me? Will I fail? Please help me remember to turn to You when these thoughts enter my head. If I put my trust in You, walk with You and listen to You; I know I will always be headed in the right direction. Remind me that it is not about monetary riches but the simplicity of love and family. Remind us all that great things are the works of Your hands not ours and all of the promises You have made to us!
- Amen

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing your story...very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great stuff! Loved hearing your backstory. But that sign has to go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment!
    Christie... Johnny is not a fan of that sign either! We do *LOVE* Dallas, all the great food, all of our amazing friends, sporting events, etc. I REALLY really hope we see you this summer! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Just what I needed to read!

    ReplyDelete