A stay-at-home mom's survival guide to surviving 3 under 3.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Acts of Love!

So... it's Monday morning, the boys are at MDO, Jameson is snoozing (for now) and I am drinking Starbucks. Life is good. It is calm and quiet.

Every Monday morning during my four mile jaunt to drop the boys off, I ponder on the topic that I should write about. (Recent Mondays I have scratched the whole idea..too much to do, too little time) but lately I have been pleasantly surprised that the perfect subject is brought to me!!

Today I was chatting with a friend while picking up my morning survival drink, Strarbucks, and was enlightened by our conversation. She has a new way of thinking for us stay at home mommies.

As a stay at home mom, there is plenty of time to think. Our thoughts are constantly running through our heads but seldomly spoken. Most of these thoughts are: laundry again, dishes again, picking up toys again, changing a diaper again, loading everyone up again, bill paying again, when is my husband coming home I need help pronto AGAIN...and so on and so on. Sometimes the simple daily acts start to drive us crazy. Is this all our lives have amounted to? Is this even worth anything? Should I give this all up and get a quote "real job". What value does any of this even bring to anyone. Am I doing everyone a disservice by just going through these motions and complaining about them in my head??

This is where the new line of thinking comes in. Instead of thinking of our motherly duties as just that, a duty, think of it as an Act of Love. This is how I am showing my family, the ones I love and adore, the ones I dreamed of since a little girl, that I do indeed LOVE them! We are rewarded in hugs and kisses and getting to see everything your children do. No misses. This is not tied to anything monetary. Nor should it. Love has no monetary value. When you pick up your child's dirty clothes for the ump-teenth time, think of it as keeping your family together, nurturing your children, giving them a safe home and NOT as a chore..and definately not as a job. There are no bosses, no supervisors, this is strictly out of love.

YOUR SURVIVAL TO-DO: Grab a journal or staple some paper together and stick it in your night stand or drawer in your kitchen. Every night before you go to bed, write down the biggest blessing that happened to you that day. You can even write down the worst thing that happened that day. Over time, look back and see that the worst things really weren't so bad and the best things were the most meaningful things in life! Your life...

**I am getting my paper ready and will start this PRONTO! I think it is a great idea AND A KEY TO SURVIVING 3 UNDER 3.**


This is the day the LORD has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Psalm 118:24



I also am starting to realize that this must be how Jesus feels about us. He doesn't think of what He does for us as a job but rather Acts of Love. If we recognize that we have a lot in common with him maybe this will help to! Remember the old slogan, WWJD? HE loves and nurtures us and provides EXACTLY what we need without ANY complaints. Maybe we should follow in his footsteps to! :)

Until next Monday.. (hopefully!)

Dear Lord,

Help me to remember that my daily chores as a stay-at-home mom are not about monetary value but rather acts of love. Everything I do around my house is all for the love of my family. Help me to rejoice and be glad in my daily routine. Help me to see that being home and doing these things is the biggest blessing I could ever have. Bring calmness to my spirit and open my eyes to SEE these things right before me. Help me to remember that I am doing the same acts for my family here on earth that YOU do for me. To love and nurture and always be there. Giving without the need for receiving. There is always abundance in TODAY with YOU in it! - Amen

But you oh Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, 
slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. 
- Psalm 86:15

No comments:

Post a Comment