A stay-at-home mom's survival guide to surviving 3 under 3.

Monday, January 31, 2011

When the storms roll in…

Well, it’s Monday again and I am off to a late start on my blog to “survival” because I was out with all the other stay at home moms gathering the necessities to “survive” tomorrow’s Winter Storm! Eek! They are forecasting 9 to 14 inches of snow with 3 to 5 foot snowdrifts! They even say this storm may go down in the Oklahoma history books! YIKES!

With that, I was out with all the other locals buying up the necessities. Now let me explain my necessities. These are the real survival necessities: Peanut MMs, Starbucks, Diet Coke, Doritos, queso supplies, frozen pizzas and Lunchables! Perfect! We are ready. Bring on the weather… we can survive anything now! Ha! No really, I stocked up on some other things too, but these are the main necessities to surviving being ‘stuck’ at home with two two-year olds while being 37 weeks pregnant. We will need plenty of boredom snacks and some should be the non-healthy kind to keep our spirits up!

What I have learned the past few years is that one great key to surviving any crisis can and should include partnering with your sweet tooth! I really feel it is okay to please your cravings here and there. (Everything in moderation, right?!)  Yes, I agree, your daily food intake should be healthy; this will keep your body and mind fresh and feeling good and your weight on track. (Exercise goes a long way too!) I just feel that you have plenty of time for healthy alternatives in your day to day but when times get tough, it is SO okay to grab that craving fix. It doesn’t mean to eat three snickers in a row, it just means, allow yourself to savor that one yummy delicious peanut, caramel and chocolate delight and enjoy every bite! I think allowing yourself a yummy snack here and there releases endorphins just like working out can do!  So maybe you don’t feel that great after you devour the snickers like you might after a kick-boxing class or 30 minutes on the treadmill, but you will feel better in the moment and in times of crisis, sometimes you live moment to moment.

I remember last year, around February/March, Jack had just recovered from croup, bronchitis AND pink eye and then fell back sick with the FLU! All within 2 weeks! It was miserable. As if that was not enough, Johnny was on his way to New Orleans for a bachelor party on the same day a BLIZZARD was about to hit. It was a very low point for me. I quickly ran out to the store on the evening before his departure and the blizzard’s arrival and loaded up on survival necessities’! What did I get? CANDY! CANDY and more CANDY! I had every bag of candy you could imagine to help me cope with a sick child, a departing husband and arriving blizzard! My sweet tooth and I were going to partner up and get through this together.  I did a lot of ‘exit’ planning that weekend on my new life since my husband had up and left me for a weekend getaway with friends and left me in this sick and cold misery. On one of the two nights he was gone, a bird got disoriented and slammed into the window next to me. It laid there on the window seal and I thought, if this bird dies right here in front of me I may be in some sick and twisted black hole universe! Thankfully, it “came to” and fluttered off. Phew. Someone knew that bird would be my breaking point!
A picture I sent to my husband to remind
him of how sick Jack was!


That dumb bird!


That blizzard!!


The fact is, with my candy in hand, I survived. I didn’t leave my husband, Jack got better and the snow melted. Deep down, I knew my husband needed to get away. At least one of us could shake this misery for a few days! And don’t worry, I got to jet set to Mexico in May for a friend’s wedding and enjoyed Mother’s day on the beach! I highly recommend being alone on a beach with a margarita on Mother’s Day! 

BEST*WAY*TO*CELEBRATE*HANDS*DOWN!
My equivalent to a Mother' Day Tea!
(Mexico, May 2010)

In the end, I just wanted to share with you that if for some reason you are facing a crisis, please feel free to please your sweet tooth and eat something yummy!! It is okay. You won’t be the next Biggest Loser because you partnered with your sweet tooth for a few days! It will only get you through the seemingly difficult times and you can hit the gym when things get back up and running!

Next week…. Keeping the Faith! How to remember there is always a light at the end of the tunnel. I am partnering with Matthew 6:19-34. It was supposed to be today’s post but the WINTER STORM 2011 sidetracked me!!!!! 

Dear Lord, 
Please keep us safe during our winter storm. Ease our anxieties and let us rest knowing that you will take care of us. As mommies, let us be strong for our children and bring calmness to them. In Jesus name I pray, Amen! 

No comments:

Post a Comment