A stay-at-home mom's survival guide to surviving 3 under 3.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Welcome, Welcome Everyone!

Does that title ring a bell to any of you stay at home moms out there? Along with Jesus and Starbucks, I will admit, Gymboree was also a saving grace for me. One of my friend's called me a "yuppie mom" for being able to stay at home with my kids and attend mid-week afternoon Gymboree classes, but I did not care, in fact, I actually felt honored to be able to do so! So label me a yuppie mom. 


I decided about a week ago I would start blog #2, and title it, "Jesus and Starbucks." The name was drawn from a friend of a friend I have only met once at a children's Christmas party.  At 7 1/2 months pregnant with my third boy, I was grazing on candy set out for the little ones to decorate cookies with and noticed another mom pacing between two of her children. She did not look like the other moms there. Her hair was not fixed, she did not have a cute clean outfit on and she definitely was not mingling with anyone. Being pregnant, I was an easy target to start a conversation with. She asked me when I was due and I responded that I was expecting my third boy in 2 months. Like always, I made sure to add in that I would become a mother of three under three. And then state prayers were welcome and continue to blab about how I was not sure if I would survive with already having twin 2 year olds, yadi yadi yadi. (All while continuing to stuff Sour Patch Kids in my mouth as fast as I could). She responded that she had four under six. Oh, she trumped me! In awe, I asked her how she did it. How was she surviving. She simply stated, "Jesus and Starbucks!"  Right then, I knew we had an instant bond! I responded, "ME TOO!" That is how I have made it through the twins and how I think I am going to make it through this third one too. Wow~ Divine!! It is as simple as that. Jesus will be my rock, my savior. He will provide everything I need. His grace is enough. Starbucks will provide my daily kick start and be my allie in times of need. 


As moms, we all have a bond. We all go through the same things. We all understand. The key is figuring out that we are NOT alone. I hope this blog speaks to you. I hope you can find answers here and feel as if you have someone who finally gets it. Motherhood is something we all strive for. However, when we get there, it seems to be complicated. Why is it so hard? Why am I so alone? How do I make it through day after day?


I hope to write an entry each Monday morning, with Starbucks in hand, on how to answer all of those questions. My safety net will be daily prayer and Starbucks coffee. Yours may be daily prayer and a sonic diet coke or can of DP. Whatever it is, jump on board with me and we can figure this out together!


I heard a song today by the band, Kutless, from the album, It Is Well: Expanded Edition. Their lyrics say it all. Read these and think of how Jesus is there for us. He is there for us as mothers. Lean on him and he will see us through! 


When every step is so hard to take



And all of my hope is fading away
When life is a mountain that I can not climb
You carry me, Jesus carry me.

You are strength in my weakness
You are the refuge I seek
You are everything in my time of need
You are everything, You are everything I need

When every moment is more than I can take
And all of my strength is slipping away
When every breath gets harder to breathe
You carry me, Jesus carry me

I need You
You are everything I need
I love everything about You


Next week I will share with you the chapters I intend to write on. For example, finding time for daily prayer. Getting organized when it seems impossible. The importance of the babysitter. How to start a play group. Who to get advice from. Etc.

Until then. Go grab a comfort drink, turn on your Christian music and know that it will all be okay! 

A quote from a magazine my friend read to me over the phone one day, 
"You do not have to be the perfect mom, just good enough!"

1 comment:

  1. This will be great Jen! I can't wait to keep up...with my Starbucks in the am or my Sonic in the pm!

    ReplyDelete